Hello, friends! As you may or may not know, we Book Smugglers have made the final ballot for the impending Hugo Awards for Best Fanzine. Naturally, we are very invested in the Hugos this year and are planning on celebrating this weekend with a round of trolling.
No, not that kind of trolling! We’re talking about two cinematic feats of astonishment that are so horribly, eye-bleedingly bad, they are magnanimously good. We present…
TROLL & TROLL 2:
The Drunken Viewing Party
We Book Smugglers will be joined by Anne and Jared (of fellow Hugo nominated blog Pornokitsch) this weekend to host a boisterous, bad joke-filled, trollerific bonanza. We will be watching Troll and Troll 2 on Sunday at 11am Thea-time (EST) and 4pm Ana/Anne/Jared-time (BST).
We will be tweeting the whole damn thing, so make sure to follow all of us (@thebooksmugglers, @thefingersofgod, @pornokitsch) and hashtag #trollthehugos
We hope you will all join in the Nilbogian FUN!
About The Movies
You don’t know Troll or Troll 2? NO PROBLEM! I, Thea, have a huge soft spot for bad movies. Really bad movies. Movies so terrible, so ridiculously, unconscionably bad that they transcend “good” and “bad” labels and become cinematic GOLD. And in this particular category of complete and utter tackiness, never has there been a movie like Troll 2.
Troll is a decently bad, Leprechaun-ish rip-off, starring a main character named Harry Potter. (Hee!) But it doesn’t hold a green gooey candle to the majesty of Troll 2, which among other things…
- Literally has NO trolls in it
- Has absolutely nothing to do with Troll 1
- Involves urination and bologna eating to thwart villainy
- Features a scene in which one character dances in front of a mirror in perfect late 80s/early 90s glory
- Features a wise old ghost that only one character can see
- Includes a makeout scene involving an ear of corn that gets so hot it becomes popcorn
- Drops ample classic one-liners that are oh-so-quotable
- Features a poster with a kid that isn’t in the movie and literally has nothing to do with the movie
- And so much more!
Heck, this movie is so bad and so beloved that it spawned a documentary about how such a movie was created in the first place. (See Best Worst Movie – it’s on Netflix and it’s actually pretty good.)
Lest you don’t believe me, check out the trailer and revel in Troll 2‘s glory.
So whaddya say? Will we see you on Sunday in Nilbog, friends?!